Sunday, April 15, 2007

Artemis Fowl

Just finished reading Artemis Fowl - The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer, and this is my second AF book. After reading the first in the series, I was less than impressed and did not relate to the character of Artemis at all. I did not think the characterisation was very good and I felt that the "boy James Bond, genius" style character was irritating more than amusing or interesting.

I felt the same throughout this book, but to a slightly lesser degree. It was well written, but I did not find it particularly stimulating or engaging - I didn't really care what happened to the characters. There are some interesting characters, Holly the fairy, Mulch Diggums the dwarf, Juliet (Butler's sister) but I did not relate to any of them really.

In this one Artemis has created a supercomputer called "the Cube" using fairy technology which although it is now obsolete in the fairy world, is still 50 years ahead of what exists in the human world. It is stolen by Jon Spiro a very rich businessman who wants to use the technology for his own evil ends, and so the fairies and Artemis have to work together to recover it before he can use it.

This series of books does nothing for me, I am sad to say. Eoin Colfer is Irish, the stories are based in Ireland, but as much as I want to like them, they leave me cold.

No comments: