Wednesday, April 11, 2007

British...

as a Second Language by David Bennun.

Just read this one recently which is an autobiographical story of someone who moves to the UK from South Africa and writes about the problems of settling in. He goes to university in the UK during the '80s and lives on through the '90s in the country as he adapts more, or less, depending on how you look at it. He undergoes "cultural difficulties" and finds it hard to adapt to the British way of life. In a similar vein to Bill Bryson, but not as clever, erudite or funny.

There are occasional parts which are very funny, but I found it a bit jumpy in its style, and generally not as well written as it could have been. An enjoyable read, but not up to the high comical standards of Mr Bryson.

2 comments:

Hazellie said...

Hi, thanks for dropping by my blog. I see we have quite a few books in common, not a lot though, I haven't heard of many of the authors you read. But it's great finding out more about them on your blog. It's always great to meet more readers. =)

lifelongreader said...

I read most anything, but I read a lot from the library as I am a cheapskate, so my choice is a bit limited!