Friday, March 30, 2007

Mortal Engines

This is the first book in the Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve. It is a great book set a long time in the future, after the 60 Minute War, which devastated most of humanity, and now all that survives are cities which move around the dried up river beds and hunt other cities.

The book follows the adventures of Tom Natsworthy and Hester Shaw, a girl who has a horribly disfigured face, as they help each other. Tom is reluctantly dragged from his position in the Museum and led into a new series of adventures, and forced to face up to some truths.

The book is set in a strange futuristic world of Traction Cities, Municipal Darwinism and Stalkers. Modern day technology we take for granted is now called "Old Tech" - I love the seedys!!

London is on the hunt for new prey and ventures into the Hunting Ground to search for new prey. In this book, it is a town eat town world - only the strongest survive.

2 comments:

JLH said...

Just found your site and love it. I'm a librarian in a boys' school and am sure I'll find new suggestions on your site, as you like some of my favorites. How about Kenneth Oppel's Airborn? I think I'll spend half my summer reading book blogs!

lifelongreader said...

Thanks, Jane - another book for my TBR list.